Insurance & You

Friday, 27 July 2012

Do major events affect my insurance?

From major sports competitions to music festivals, have you ever wondered how big events could affect your insurance policies? To set your mind at ease, we’ve answered your most pressing questions about your property and possessions.

Person holding medals

Big events and your home insurance

Q. If my possessions are stolen while attending an event, will it be covered by my home insurance policy?

A. Yes, you will be covered if you have personal belongings cover. However, it’s always worth double-checking your policy to make sure and T&C's apply.

Q. If my house gets broken into while I’m out at a major event, will I be covered?

A. Home insurance covers you for any loss of possessions or damage to your home through  burglary, T&C's apply. Full details can be found in your policy documents, or you can contact your insurance provider to find out more.

Q. If my event tickets are stolen from my home, will my home insurance cover it? 

A. No, this would not be covered by your home insurance. If this happens, the best course of action is to contact the ticket provider.

Q. If I have guests to stay for a big event, will I be covered for loss or damage to my possessions?

A. Yes, this will be covered under your standard home insurance, but only for standard risks. Your guest’s possessions, up to the value of £350, will also be covered during their stay. For more information, please contact one of our advisors or refer to your policy documents.

Q. If I rent out my spare room to someone attending a local event, will it affect my insurance?

A. Yes, this may affect your home insurance so please contact us to find out more. Special terms and conditions may apply.

Q. Can I rent my driveway to someone attending a local event?

A. Yes, but there may be special terms and conditions for insurance purposes. Please contact us to find out more.

Major events and car insurance

Q. If I have an accident on the way to a major event, will I be covered by my car insurance policy?

A. Yes, you will be covered by your RIAS car insurance policy. It will also cover your wife, husband or civil partner, and any other passenger in the car that is insured on your policy - providing there is a passenger seat for that person, and T&C's apply.

Q. If I car-share to work to avoid the event traffic, will I be covered by my car insurance?

A. Yes, as long as you have declared that your car is used for commuting to work, T&C's apply. If you need to amend your policy, please get in touch as soon as possible.

Q. If my car is broken into at a major event, will my insurance policy cover the damage?

A. Yes, your policy will cover any damage caused to your car by fire, theft or attempted theft. T&C's apply.


Do you have further questions about your insurance and major events? Please feel free to get in touch with our team of advisors who are always on hand to help. 

Go back