Two men looking at cars after collision
Back to Demystifying Insurance

What to do if you are hit by an uninsured driver

It’s estimated there are around 1 million uninsured drivers on British roads[1]. This means that roughly 1 in 38 cars that you drive past will be driven by someone without insurance[2]. If the worst happens and you’re hit by an uninsured driver, you might be left feeling confused about what to do. This guide should help. 

What to do if you’re hit by an uninsured driver

1. After any accident, you need to get the name and address of the other driver and find out their insurance details. You’ll also need their car’s registration number, make and model. If they’re not insured, they may tell you this or they might try to hide this information from you.

2. You should report the accident to the police, even if it was minor. If the other driver refuses to hand over their insurance details, you can make a formal complaint.

3. Contact your own insurer and explain what has happened as soon as possible and share any information you have gathered with them. If you have comprehensive cover, you’ll be able to claim for any repairs to your vehicle or property from your insurer.

4.You should inform the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), ideally within five days. If you are going to claim for personal injury, this needs to be submitted within three years from the date of the accident[3]. You can fill in a claim form online, print one off and post it or ask the MIB to send you a paper copy. Click here to find out more >

5. The MIB will then investigate, keeping you informed throughout the process. They may ask for additional information.

6. You should usually find out whether the MIB will be awarding you compensation within three months, or six weeks, if you’ve made a minor personal injury claim. There may be a delay if the MIB have to wait for additional medical or police reports[4].

7. It can take a while for the MIB to decide exactly how much compensation you are due, so you might need to be patient. It may be possible to receive interim payments if the process is taking a long time. This is something you would need to discuss with the MIB.

8. If the MIB decide not to award you compensation you have the right to appeal.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau

If you’re hit by an uninsured driver, you can turn to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). It was set up in 1946 to help victims of accidents which were caused by uninsured drivers, those who can’t be traced (‘hit and run’ drivers) or drivers with foreign-registered cars[5]. They consider claims for vehicle damage, property damage and personal injuries. 

Around £15 - £30 of all drivers’ annual premiums are given to the MIB to fund their work and pay for the compensation they give out. The MIB handle around 12,000 claims a year and have paid out around £256 million to victims in 2017 alone[6]

The MIB will only pay compensation “when some fault can be established on the part of the driver that you consider responsible. If the evidence confirms you were partly or wholly responsible, the compensation payment will be reduced or not paid at all.”[7]

Make sure you’re covered

If your current car insurance policy is due to expire soon, start shopping around for quotes now. You don’t want to find yourself without a policy, as driving without insurance is illegal. 

If you’re caught driving uninsured by the police you could receive a fixed penalty of £300 and six penalty points. Your car could be seized and destroyed. If you end up in court, you could be disqualified from driving and receive an unlimited fine[8].  

Finding the right policy for you 

By finding the right policy, you can put potential problems that uninsured drivers could cause you to bed. If you’re worried about the consequences of being hit by an uninsured driver, particularly where your no claims discount is concerned, Rias has got you covered. 

Our uninsured driver promise comes as standard with our car insurance policies. This type of cover ensures you won’t lose your no claims discount and that your excess will be reimbursed, if you’re hit by an uninsured driver in an incident that wasn’t your fault. To provide you with this cover we will need the make, model and registration of the other vehicle, as well as the time and date when the incident took place. 

For more information, view our policy booklet > 

Click here to get a quote for Rias car insurance >