We understand how stressful it can be following an accident in your car – especially if you end up in a legal dispute. So you don't need the additional worry of paying for solicitor fees, which could run into thousands of pounds, or the stress of trying to settle the matter by yourself.
Our legal expenses cover includes
- Up to £100,000 cover for you, your passengers and your car if you're in an accident, which was the fault of another insured and identifiable person.
- The cost of a solicitor, legal advice and support in settling the claim.
What do legal expenses cover?
- Personal injury cover – for you and your passengers following a road traffic accident, which wasn't your fault.
- Uninsured loss recovery – damages and recovering costs if you're in an accident that wasn't your fault and the other insured party is at fault, including medical treatment, overnight accommodation and travel costs incurred due to the loss of your car.
- Defence of motoring prosecutions – defending a criminal legal action that has arisen from the use of your car.
- Motor contract disputes – either pursuing or defending contract disputes, which relate to the sale of goods of services associated with your car. This includes the car itself.
- Vehicle cloning – if your car identity is stolen, you’ll be covered for costs to defend criminal or civil proceedings.
- Motor insurance database disputes – costs for disputes following false or incorrect information about you or your car on the motor insurance database are covered.
Our legal expenses cover also offers access to additional services:
- Discounted legal services to deal with issues involving routine conveyancing costs, wills and probate, divorce and child custody disputes
- Access to an online legal document service.
When can I make a claim?
You can make a claim through our legal expenses cover when:
- Personal injury has been suffered by you or your passengers
- You've incurred losses that aren't already covered by your insurance
- Your belongings have been damaged and you're seeking compensation
- You're being prosecuted for a road offence you didn’t commit
- You've received a parking fine and/or speeding fine you're not responsible for, as your car has been cloned.
Understanding our claims process
- You have to report a claim within 180 days of the incident, and have more than a 50% chance of success to be accepted
- Only contracts under dispute entered into after your policy begins will be covered
- Legal costs that have already been paid or have been agreed to be paid before the claim has been accepted won't be included.
Prospects of success
Your policy is underwritten by Amtrust and any claims will be administered by Arc Legal Assistance.
When considering your claim success, Arc will take the following into account:
- The amount of money at stake
- Whether a person without legal expenses insurance would wish to pursue or defend the matter
- The prospects of being able to enforce a judgement
- Whether your interests could be better achieved in another way.
For more information, please take a look at our policy document.