A cream sofa with grey cushions
Back to Demystifying Insurance

New for old

We know how stressful it can be when your possessions are stolen, lost or damaged. That’s why - if you have your home insurance with us and you need to make a claim your contents will be covered on a ‘new for old’ basis, giving you peace of mind should the worst happen.

By providing ‘new for old’ as standard, the claims team make sure your items are replaced with a fully-functioning, new alternative. This however won’t happen if the items are repaired or a cash settlement is offered.

How does new for old work?

New for old means that when you receive a claims settlement, there will be no deduction for depreciation. The damaged property may be repaired, reinstated or replaced and if the property cannot be replaced or repaired, the loss or damage may be paid for in cash.

Where repair or replacement is offered through our preferred supplier but a cash settlement is agreed, the payment will not exceed the amount that would have been paid to the preferred supplier. The best option will be decided for you.

New for old covers things such as:

  • Electrical items such as laptops, televisions and digital cameras
  • Kitchen appliances
  • Furniture
  • Business equipment, as declared by you and listed on your policy


A full list can be found in your policy booklet, or give our expert advisors a call to find out more. An excess will apply for any claims.

What items are exempt from new for old cover?

All of your home contents are protected by our new for old cover, except for:

  • Clothing and household linen over three years old


To make sure you have an appropriate level of new for old cover, make sure you provide us with an accurate contents value when applying for your home insurance. This makes sure we can replace your possessions using new for old cover.