Black leather wallet on gravel floor
Back to Tips and Guides

Our guide on how to replace lost car documents

We all know it’s important to keep your car documents in a safe place, but occasionally things do get misplaced. Sometimes it’s not until you need to make an insurance claim or want to sell your car that you realise that your insurance documents or log book are missing.

Thankfully, replacing your car documents can be quick and easy, once you know how to go about it.

Driving Licence

To get a replacement driving licence you can apply online or call 0300 790 6801. If you suspect that your driving licence may have been stolen, you will need to inform the police straight away.

Log book

To get a new log book (V5C) you can call the DVLA on 0300 790 6802. You will be charged £25 and your new log book should arrive within five days.

If you’ve changed your name or address, you’ll need to apply for a new V5C by post instead. To do this, you’ll have to fill out a V62 form and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DD with a cheque for £25. In this case, it may take up to six weeks for your new log book to arrive. Find out more >

MOT certificate

You can’t order a replacement MOT online or by picking up the phone. To do this you need to visit a MOT centre and request a replacement. It doesn’t need to be the MOT centre that tested your car; you just need to be able to show your log book and give the garage your vehicle registration number. You will be charged £10 for an MOT certificate replacement or half the full MOT test fee, whichever is the lower amount.[1]

Certificate of Motor Insurance

To request a new insurance certificate, you can simply ring your insurer. If you’re unsure who your insurer is, you can check your bank statements, search through your emails or visit the Motor Insurers’ Bureau website and request your insurance history by completing a Data Subject Access Request form. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau holds information on every insured car in the UK.

If you have a Rias car insurance policy and have an online account, you should be able to log in to view your certificate. Alternatively, you can call us on 0345 650 1212 and choose options 1, 1, 4 and 2 after the welcome message to get a paper copy. You may be charged an admin fee if you request your replacement certificate over the phone. Find out more >

If your car insurance is due for renewal soon, get a quote for Rias insurance >