Older couple in an orange car
Back to Tips and Guides

Your guide to car insurance when you're over 70

Once you reach the age of 70, you’ll be asked to renew your driving licence every three years, so it’s important to get this sorted when the DVLA letter lands on your doormat.

If you do renew your driving licence and intend to continue to drive, you’ll have to continue paying for car insurance. Read our guide to find out more.

Are over 70s better drivers?

Government figures show that drivers over 70 are involved in fewer accidents each year than those from younger age groups, and suffer fewer injuries[1]. Research by road safety charity Brake has highlighted how younger drivers lack experience behind the wheel and are more likely to take risks than older drivers.[2]

In 2010, the Institute of Advanced Motorists' released an in in-depth report[3] on older drivers which said: “The way older people respond can make them safer drivers. This study shows that they can be safer than those in their 50s by choosing to avoid driving at times and places they perceive as stressful – and because their experienced attitude to safety means they drive more defensively.”

When it comes to driving safely, listening to your own body is important. If your eyesight, hearing or mobility deteriorates or your reaction time slows down, you may want to consider hanging up your car keys. You should only drive if you’re fit and able, or you’ll be risking your own safety, as well as the safety of others.

How can I pay less?

Insurance companies consider a number of factors when deciding how much to charge you for your insurance policy, one of which is your age. As you may be less likely to be in an accident[4] and to make a claim, your age could help lower your premium. However, if you’ve been in an accident in recent years, lost your no claims discount or have got points on your driving licence, this will make you a riskier proposition – so you should expect to pay more than you have in the past.

Other factors insurers consider include where you live, the crime rate in your area, how many miles you drive annually, where you park your car and your car’s insurance group[5]. If you drive an expensive car with a large engine, your car’s going to be in a higher car insurance group than a cheaper run-around with a smaller engine, so you’re going to be charged more.

Exchanging your car is one way to try to reduce your premium, but you won’t know until you get some quotes.

With car insurance, the cheapest quote isn’t always the best – you need to double check that the cover on offer is adequate for you.

The excess you’ll need to pay if you make a claim must be affordable, so don’t choose a policy with an excess you’d struggle to pay. No insurer will pay out until the compulsory excess has been paid in full. 

To get a quote for Rias over 70s car insurance, and to find out more, please click here >

Not driving for a while?

Legally, your car must be insured or SORN, so, if you’re not planning on driving for an extended period, once your current insurance policy runs out, you’ll need a SORN. You can do this on the DVLA website, by phone or by post.

To find out how to SORN your car, please check out our guide >