Home insurance FAQs

  • What do I do in the event of a claim for my home insurance?

    All the information you need in the event of a claim will be sent with your policy. Should you need to make a claim before receiving your policy, please contact us.

  • How do I make amendments to my home policy?

    Any alterations or additions to your policy can be made simply by calling one of our Customer Service Advisors on 0345 650 1333. Most alterations can be made while you are on the phone. Our advisors can also offer you a full range of policy enhancement products, and will be happy to discuss any other insurance-related queries you have.

  • When will I receive my home policy document?

    5 to 10 working days.

  • What should I do if I want to make a complaint?

    We aim to deliver a high standard of service at all times but should you ever have a reason to complain please go to our complaints page.

  • What if I have not been sent my free gift?

    Please send an email to customer services.

  • How can I ensure that my house is adequately secured?

    Follow these useful home insurance security tips.

  • Can I switch to RIAS before my renewal date?

    Yes, you can even claim back any cancellation fees charged by your current insurance provider up to the value of £75. T&C’s apply.

  • Are my personal belonging covered when I have them away from home, or with me on holiday?

    Yes, if you take out our ‘Personal Belongings Away From Home‘ option you and/or your family‘s personal belongings are covered for £5,000 in total, £1,500 for a single article. Money (up to £500) and credit cards (up to £500) are also covered. This option covers against loss in Europe. Cover is also provided anywhere else in the world for up to 60 days in any period of insurance.

  • Do you give a no claims discount on your home insurance?

    Yes, if you have not claimed within three years.

  • Does the policy cover new-for-old?

    Yes, the policy is 'new-for-old'. That means all items (except clothing and household linen more than three years old) will be replaced with the new equivalent without any deduction for wear and tear.

  • Do you need to know if I am making alterations to my property?

    Yes, we need to be made aware of any structural changes to or near the property before the work commences.

  • Do you need to know if I am leaving my property unoccupied for more than 60 days?

    Yes, please contact us before leaving your property if it will be unoccupied for 60 days or longer.

  • Do I need extra cover for Christmas and wedding gifts?

    For wedding gifts, the maximum claim limit under our contents policy is automatically increased by 10% for one month before and one month after your or any member of your family's wedding day or civil partnership ceremony to cover wedding or civil partnership ceremony gifts and the cost of extra items bought specifically for the wedding or the civil partnership ceremony and celebrations. In addition cover will be provided for gifts whilst: - In a building where the wedding or civil partnership ceremony reception is held. Being transported between your home and the reception. To add extra reassurance the maximum claim limit of our contents policy is also increased by 10% during the month of your religious festival to cover gifts and extra food and drink that you might purchase for the religious festival.

  • If I am switching to RIAS do you cancel my policy with my previous insurers?

    No, you’ll need to cancel your existing policy.

  • Will I be charged more for working at home?

    You may incur an additional premium for working from home. Please contact us to find out more.

  • Are the contents covered in my shed/garage?

    Yes, up to £5,000 with standard contents cover, provided that the building is locked and is situated on a permanent foundation.

  • Are my freezer contents covered in my contents policy?

    Yes, up to the value of £1,000.

  • Can we increase or decrease the amount of the building and contents cover?

    Contents can be increased from £50,000 up to a maximum £100,000 if certain security measures are taken. This additional cover is subject to an additional premium. The standard limit for buildings cover is £1,000,000.

  • What if I need to make a change to my 2 year fixed price insurance policy?

    If you make a change to the policy during the year or if Insurance Premium Tax changes then the price may be adjusted to reflect this either at the time of change or at next renewal.  If the change is made during the first year the new annual price will remain fixed at next renewal unless further changes are made. 

  • Am I tied to RIAS insurance for the 2 years I have a fixed price?

    No. You have a pricing commitment from us for 2 years, but you're not tied to us. You will still be invited to renew every year and can choose to not renew the policy if you wish. You can also cancel the policy at any time outside of renewal, although an administration fee for cancellation will apply.

  • Are there circumstances when my 2 year fixed price insurance price won’t stay fixed? 

    • If you make a claim on the policy or receive a motoring conviction (this will only effect your motor policy) the next renewal premium may be adjusted and the fixed price offer will end.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         • If the rate of Insurance Premium Tax changes during the first year of your policy, your first renewal will be adjusted to reflect the amount of this change.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               • If you hold additional optional covers (such as Legal Protection or Key Protection for example) and the price of these covers change during your first year this change in price will be reflected in your first renewal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         • If you make a change to the cover, for example you move house or add or remove cover, the price will be recalculated to reflect this. This new annual renewal price will then stay fixed for the remainder of the 2 year fixed period, unless further changes are made, where the price will be recalculated each time.  

  • Are all of your home and motor insurance policies fixed for 2 years?

    No.  Subject to qualifying criteria customers have a choice as to whether they would prefer to take a 2 year fixed price or a 1 year price.  The prices for these schemes will differ and you are free to choose the option that is best for you. The 2 year fixed price offer is not available for policies quoted or sold through price comparison websites. For details of qualifying criteria read our terms and conditions.

  • Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) is rising in October 2016 by 0.5%, how will this affect my fixed price?

    The offer excludes rises in IPT therefore the price of your policy will increase to reflect this. This will add £0.50 every £100 of premium payable, or £1 to a £200 premium.