Row of brick houses with aerials
Back to Demystifying Insurance

Alternative accommodation

Domestic disasters like fires, flooding or subsidence can render your home uninhabitable. If the worst happens it’s important to know help is at hand, and that’s why our home buildings policy provides alternative accommodation cover for insured events as standard (policy limits apply). After all, we know you have a big enough headache without having to worry about living arrangements in the event of a claim.

If in the event of a claim you need to move out of your home while repair work is carried out, due to it becoming uninhabitable, your policy will ensure you have a roof over your head. Wherever possible, your insurer will make sure your temporary home is close by - so you won’t have to travel far to get to work, schools or appointments. Of course, some localised events such as flooding may make this difficult - but if your transport costs increase while in alternative accommodation, you will be reimbursed.

Do I need or want alternative accommodation?

In the event of major damage to your home, you’ll be considering alternative accommodation. If extensive work to the property is required, it’s easy to assume that alternative accommodation is your only option; but it isn’t. 

If you don’t mind living around ongoing repair work, and would prefer the comfort, familiar setting and preferential location of home, there are now ways to make this feasible. Portable facilities, such as portable kitchens, are now an option. Your home insurance policy will cover all and any costs of hiring these, allowing you to avoid the stress of uprooting and temporarily relocating.

This is a great option for flood or fire damaged homes. You’ll be able to remain and live in your upstairs floor and any other undamaged rooms, while repair work is carried out downstairs- with full kitchen facilities available to you right on your doorstep. Ask our UK-based advisors for more information.

How do I claim for alternative accommodation?

If you’ve suffered an insurable home disaster - such as a fire or storm damage - give the team of UK-based advisors a call as soon as possible and always within 48 hours. Once your claim is verified, you’ll be offered alternative accommodation while the relevant repairs are made.

As soon as your claim is made, the team of experts will set to work in finding temporary accommodation - moving you in as quickly as possible. They’ll always endeavor to match your own home with one that is of reasonable and necessary size for your situation, so your alternative home will comfortably house you, your partner and any dependents.

Some of our customers prefer to stay with family or friends while repairs are made. If this is the case, your insurer will reimburse them for any extra reasonable costs incurred.

Under some circumstances - for example if your kitchen is unusable, but the rest of the house is comfortable - you may choose to stay in your property. If this happens, your insurer may be able to reimburse the cost of takeaway food and eating out.

Are you eligible for alternative accommodation?

To benefit from alternative accommodation, your home must be deemed uninhabitable by your insurer's trusted contractors. For example, if the structure is unsound or there is no running water, you will be temporarily rehoused while work is carried out and your home is repaired. Minor repairs or problems that don’t affect your quality of life won’t be eligible - but always get in touch if in doubt.

If repairs take longer than they should, let your insurer know. You may be eligible for additional compensation for distress and inconvenience.

And remember, alternative accommodation doesn’t only apply to homeowners - it’s important for landlords, tenants and holiday home owners, too. If you have contents only insurance, alternative accommodation is covered as standard (subject to claim limit).

Contact us  to find out more about alternative accomodation. Our team are always on hand to answer your questions.